Magic of Numbers: Playoff Preview

By Catherine E. Coppinger, Crimson Staff Writer

Each Thursday, The Crimson will compile a series of unique statistics about Harvard's sports scene. Welcome to the Magic of Numbers—without the problem sets. We'll do the math for you.

WOMEN’S LACROSSE

3—The Ivy League tournament seed awarded to the Harvard women’s lacrosse team. The Crimson will take on Dartmouth tomorrow in the tournament semifinals.

6—The number of days since the Crimson and the Big Green last saw each other on the lacrosse field. In the two teams’ last meeting, Dartmouth came away with a victory, 14-7, to close out the regular season.

3.57—The number of goals sophomore attack Jennifer VanderMuellen averages per game.

1994—The last time, until this year, that five Harvard women’s lacrosse players made the All-Ivy League team. For the first time in 17 seasons, the Crimson earned five All-Ivy nods, including first team appearances by junior tri-captain Melanie Baskind and VanderMuellen.

MEN’S LACROSSE

17—The current national ranking of the Harvard men’s lacrosse team as it moves into postseason play. The Crimson takes on Penn in the league semifinals tomorrow night.

30—The number of seconds in double overtime it took for Quaker attack Drew Belinsky to score the game-winning goal in the last Harvard-Penn matchup. The Quakers took home a 7-6 victory three weeks ago at Harvard Stadium.

2006—The last time Harvard made the NCAA tournament in men’s lacrosse.

53—The number of points, on 27 goals and 26 assists, that senior attack Dean Gibbons has registered this season. Gibbons was unanimously selected to this year’s All-Ivy League first team.

SOFTBALL

34—The number of wins the softball team has recorded this year, ending the regular season with a .708 win percentage.

11—The number of home runs freshman third baseman Kasey Lange has hit this season.

274—The number batters struck out by junior pitcher Rachel Brown in her third season with the Crimson.

37—The number of runs Harvard scored against Dartmouth this weekend, as the Crimson secured home field advantage for the Ivy League Championship series.

Sports BlogMagic of Numbers