Jimmy Vesey Named to USA Hockey World Championships Roster

Jimmy Vesey scored 32 goals for the Crimson in 2014-2015.
By Michael D. Ledecky, Crimson Staff Writer

Jimmy Vesey will be taking his final exams in the Czech Republic next month.

The junior Hobey Hat Trick finalist for the Harvard men’s hockey team was officially named to USA Hockey’s initial 16-man roster on Tuesday afternoon for the 2015 IIHF World Championships, which will be held in Prague and Ostrava, Czech Republic, May 1-17.

On Friday, Vesey addressed reports of his roster selection after the Hobey Baker Award ceremony at Northeastern's Matthews Arena, saying that he was waiting for approval from Harvard’s Administrative Board to take his exams in the Czech Republic. As a freshman, Vesey took his first semester exams in Ufa, Russia during the World Junior Championships, where he notched four assists and a semifinal goal to help Team USA to a gold medal.

“It’s kind of still up in the air a bit,” Vesey said on Friday. “We need to hear back from [the Ad Board]...so I am hoping to get that confirmed. I think it will be a great experience.”

With the Ad Board’s blessing, Vesey joins a talented lineup that includes NHL players and a major conference rival.

Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Justin Faulk headlines 10 Team USA skaters with NHL experience. Faulk was a member of the 2014 U.S. Olympic team. Other NHL players include Boston Bruins defenseman Torey Krug and Edmonton Oilers forward Matt Hendricks. Still other NHLers may join the roster upon elimination in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Meanwhile, Yale sophomore Alex Lyon is the roster’s only goaltender. Like Vesey, Lyon received First Team All-American honors on Friday after a dominant season that included a school-record seven shutouts. Vesey beat Lyon twice for game-winning goals during the ECAC quarterfinals in March.

Vesey, who led all NCAA Division I scorers with 32 goals this season, will make his senior national team debut against Finland on May 1 in Group B in the preliminary round, which will run through May 12 with games against Norway (May 2), Russia (May 4), Belarus (May 7), Denmark (May 8), Slovenia (May 10), and Slovakia (May 12).

Should Team USA finish in the top four of Group B, Vesey and the rest of the squad will advance to the quarterfinals beginning on May 14. The semifinals and finals will be held on May 16 and 17, respectively.

Vesey’s selection caps a breakout year for the Nashville Predators draft pick, who captured ECAC and Ivy Player of the Year honors and the Walter Brown Award while leading Harvard to its first ECAC title and NCAA tournament appearance in nine seasons. Vesey announced his intent on March 31 to return to school for his senior season.

Men's Ice HockeySports Blog