Born Warrior

By Marina E Watson, Contributing Writer

While the 2011-12 Harvard men’s basketball team is on the threshold of yet another breakthrough season, former Crimson guard Jeremy Lin ’10 is finding ways to pass the time amidst a historic NBA lockout.

Lin graduated from 2010 with a degree in economics, but rather than signing with J.P. Morgan or Bain like many of his peers, the undrafted 6’3 guard joined the Golden State Warriors.

By signing a contract with the Warriors in July 2010, Lin became the first NBA player of Chinese-American descent to play in the NBA—and the first Harvard graduate to do so since 1953.

Lin had a modest debut season with Golden State, appearing in 29 games while averaging 2.5 points, 1.2 rebounds, and 1.5 assists in just less than 10 minutes per game last season.

His experience included stints in the NBA Development League, where Lin was given an opportunity to evolve his game and adjust to professional play with the Reno Bighorns.

The rookie was first demoted to the Bighorns on Dec. 28, 2010, after appearing in 17 Warrior games. Lin responded by averaging 18 points over four games in the D-League before being recalled to the Golden State bench.

He was named to the NBA D-League Showcase First Team on Jan. 15, and in the showcase, Lin dazzled.

He started eight of the 12 games, led the league in points with a 17.9 average and logged 5.6 rebounds and 4.7 assists in 32.9 minutes per game.

Lin displayed that potential this past weekend in non-league play. Former Warrior and Bay Area native Matt Barnes organized a “We Believe vs. Dub Charity Basketball Game” on Nov. 6 at the San Jose Center, in which Lin took part. Alongside Warriors of old and new, the guard gave basketball fans a much-needed taste of professional hoops in the thick of the lockout void.

Lin—with Golden State teammates Stephen Curry, Charlie Bell, Lou Amundson, Dorell Wright, and David Lee—composed the “Dub” team and took on members of the memorable 2007 “We Believe” team, which included Barnes, Al Harrington, Antawn Jamison, C.J. Watson, and Anthony Morrow.

While both teams’ defensive efforts left much to be desired in the prolific 158-153 contest, Lin put up a solid 24 points for the current Warriors squad in front of over 4,000 Golden State fans to contribute to the victory.

The charity game provided a preview of what Lin has been working on in the off-season. When the labor dispute finally ends, Lin is poised to be the first guard off the Golden State bench.

The Warriors will need the Harvard grad to step up in a big way in order to take some weight off the shoulders of his backcourt mates, Curry and Monta Ellis.

One can now find Lin’s Golden State jersey proudly displayed in the lounge of Harvard’s own Lavietes Pavilion.

Or watch the former Ivy member give academic advice in his YouTube video, entitled “How to Get into Harvard ft. Ryan Higa."

Men's Basketball