Digging for Success

The archaelogy concentrator hopes to leave Harvard with another title—and a shot at the Olympics.

Senior David Wakulich has certainly gotten the most out of his time at Harvard, indulging in diverse interests such as rowing, archaeology, and playing the guitar. After coming back from serious injury after his freshman year, Walkulich has proven to be a staple for the varsity heavyweight crew.
By Aparajita Tripathi, Crimson Staff Writer

Picture a budding Indiana Jones delicately dusting off an artifact dug up in Harvard Yard. Now picture the same person tearing it up on the erg at crew practice. Though not the most common pairing of work and play, these are the versatile talents of senior first varsity heavyweight David Wakulich—rowing and archaeology. And he’ll be the first to admit their seeming mismatch.

“They’re both outdoors?” Wakulich jokes, when asked how the two activities are related.

But behind his humor rests a sincere willingness to trade in practicality for passion.

“When it came down to choosing a concentration, some [options] may have made more sense career-wise, but I ultimately needed something that was enjoyable and interesting to me,” the senior explains. “And you’d be surprised—Harvard has stockpiles of archaeological resources no one knows about.”

Of all the aspects of studying archaeology, Wakulich has most enjoyed, unsurprisingly, field work, where he has learned to work within his unit—archeologist lingo for the other team that invokes Dave’s loyalty.

As Wakulich has developed a respect for the teamwork, patience, and attention to detail involved in his academic studies, he has also cultivated these values rowing for the Crimson. Personal development in these two entirely separate spheres has been highly complementary for the 1V heavyweight and was especially critical in light of what was a rocky start to his collegiate rowing career.

During his first semester at Harvard, Wakulich sustained a serious knee injury that kept him off of the water for much of the spring season, a major mental setback for someone who had already secured individual Under-23 titles at Canadian Nationals back in high school.

“It was just an indecisive situation,” Wakulich recalls. “I couldn’t tolerate the painful physical workouts, and rehab wasn’t working.”

Wakulich’s recognition that he needed to make a resolute choice about rowing, coupled with the coaching staff’s encouragement, eventually sparked his comeback.

“I was confident it wasn’t going to be a career-ending [injury],” he says. “In fact, it was probably a blessing in disguise: I love rowing, and time spent away from it only reaffirmed my love for the sport. When I came back, I had nothing but motivation.”

But the transition back into the water was by no means easy. Missing an entire year of college-level rowing and coming from a predominantly sculling background meant that Wakulich had to revamp his technical skill set. Perhaps more importantly, his return to rowing also demanded a change of mentality.

“[At the time], there were good U.S.-level rowers and senior leaders on the team,” he says. “I didn’t want the other guys to think they were pulling me along. I needed to know that I was mentally pulling my own weight.”

Wakulich not only ended up pulling his own weight but also went on to contribute significantly to the team’s success. Rewarded with a spot on the first varsity eight boat, a position he has held since, the standout helped Harvard to a decorated 2009-10 season.

“I thought it was pretty amazing,” heavyweight captain Ant Locke notes. “Some of us had written him off. To see him jump straight in was really impressive. It’s a testament to his character. I mean, he’s a physiologically very big guy, but he’s also just a great leader on the team.”

Last year, the Crimson posted a 7-1 overall dual mark, captured titles at Eastern Sprints in Worcester, Mass., the annual Harvard-Yale regatta, and won The Ladies’ Challenge Plate at the Henley Royal Regatta in England. Topping the varsity eight’s celebrated season was the heavyweight team’s distinction as 2009-10 Co-Crew of the Year by the EARC.

Despite a series of high school and collegiate accolades, Wakulich’s prowess on the water shows no signs of abating, as he looks to row for Team Canada after graduation.

“Things are obviously subject to change, but that’s what I’m gearing myself towards,” he says. “This upcoming summer, I’ll be trialling for the U23 national team. I’m still going to try my hardest to go to the Olympics one day.”

And for someone who has made his mark as an individual rower, Wakulich has no qualms about making bigger personal and athletic adjustments as a national team player.

“I wouldn’t want to be selfish in those kinds of endeavors,” he points out. “It’s a little more significant when you’re competing for your country. I’d be more than eager to be wherever I’m needed.”

Wakulich’s teammates also show no doubt in his ability to take his rowing to the next level.

“He’s well-equipped to do that kind of thing,” Locke says. “I wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the national scene.”

But for the time being, Wakulich is just your average water-treading archaeologist.

“I play guitar and piano,” Wakulich casually notes, “and I just like crushing the erg.”

—Staff writer Aparajita Tripathi can be reached at atripathi@college.harvard.edu.

Supplement StoriesMen's Crew