Crimson Soccer Team Loses Wet Game to Princeton, 4-1

PRINCETON, N.H., Saturday, Nov. 11--Bruce Munro's soccer team started strong and finished strong on Princeton's rain-soaked Pardec Field today, but the second and third period Tiger aggressiveness is what shows in the scoring column. Princeton won, 4 to 1, to capture sixth place from the Crimson in Ivy League standing.

Halfway through the second stanza, the Tigers roared deep into Harvard territory. Aided by luck in front of the goal, the Orange and black scored twice within a minute and a half to set up a 2 to 0 halftime lead.

Princeton left wing and captain John Mott scored the first goal at 11:00, breaking through the Crimson defense to slam a hard one at the right side of the post. Goalie Dick Cravon managed to deflect the kick into the center where a defender was almost able to clear the ball. Mott, however, drove in too fast and made the shot good.

On the next play after the kickoff, Princeton's right inside Ham Bothfeld kicked from 30 yards out. A Crimson halfback got his head on the ball, but not quite enough to clear the shot, which deflected into top of the goal.

Crimson Comeback

As it has done before this season, the Crimson came back strong after the half as All-American right inside Charlie Weiss sparked an opening third period drive.

At 11:45 he angled a hard shot that Princeton goalie John White barely blocked. Center forward Vern Drehmel was on hand to touch in the rebound.

A minute later Princeton's Bothfeld broke the back of the Harvard rally. After pulling the Crimson left side defense out of position, he rifled the heavy wet ball past goalie Craven to make the score Princeton 3, Harvard 1.

Bothfeld added the final goal, his third of the afternoon, after one minute of the fourth quarter. The Crimson again tried to come back, but it was too late. Tea last-period desperation shots were turned aside by the skillful Tiger goalie.

The right side of the Crimson line again provided the main scoring punch. Regular right wing Ben Goldstein stepped on a ball in Friday's pre-game warm-up and sprained his ankle.