Limited College Deferment, Draft at 18 Urged by Conant

Vinson Disapproves Conant's Suggestions, Will Turn Over New Bill to House Monday

By William M. Simmons, Special to the CRIMSON

WASHINGTON, March 8--President Conant today asked the House Armed Services Committee to change its version of the draft bill.

Appearing as a representative of the Committee on Present Danger, Conant argued that the Armed Services Committee should reduce the present House Bill age limit on inductees from 18 1/2 to 18 and should allow some deferments.

In part, Vinson told Conant that the committee originally did not want to outline a deferment system. It would, he said, rather leave that up to the draft boards. And, the chairman said in explanation, 18 1/2 was the better age at which to take men, for it would allow them some training or education before they are sent off to service.

The New York World Telegram and Sun said last night that General Lewis B. Hershey, Selective Service Director, has proposed that college students now facing draft should be deferred through their next year if they are in the upper brackets of their classes or able to pass certain aptitude tests.

Conant Interrupted Twice

Twice during the testimony, Conant was interrupted by the committee. After statements by three other witnesses, public hearings on the House bill were adjourned. The committee will go into executive meetings starting Monday with hopes of returning to the House later in the week.

As the hearing ended, Chairman Carl Vinson (D-Gs.) said, "I'm going home and draw up a new bill." It is expected that the new version, which he will present to his committee Monday, will include only minor changes, however. The two main provisions against which Conant argued will probably remain in the measure.

Chairman Vinson faces a fight from some members of his committee, it was learned. These, mainly Republican, would like to eliminate U.M.S. altogether, leaving only a draft act. The Republicans hope to win on the floor or in the conference committees.