Faculty Considers Parietal Changes at Meeting Today

By Philip M. Cronin

The last vestige of College puritanism--House regulations for women guests--comes up for review by the Faculty today.

The Faculty will consider and probably vote on the Administrative Board's proposal to change the rules. The changes: From 1-7 p.m. to 4-7 p.m. on weekdays; from 1-8 p.m. to 4-11 p.m. on Saturdays and nights before holidays.

If the motion passes, undergraduates will lose three hours--from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.--during which they may have women in their rooms on weekdays.

On Saturdays, undergraduates will gain three hours--from 8 to 11 p.m.

This would be a net loss of 15 hours of room time each week.

Besides this, the regulations will continue carrying this rider: "In the Houses permission will be granted in accordance with the procedure established by the Masters." This means that Housemasters do not have to obey the Faculty recommendations.

Council Foiled

The last attempt to liberalize parietal rules was a failure. Last year, the Student Council asked the Administrative Board to extend room permissions until 11 p.m. on Saturdays.

The Board flatly turned down the proposal. Said Dean Bender: "The College has an inescapable responsibility to lay down regulations which will help to maintain the highest standards of personal conduct among its students or at least not encourage a departure from such standards."

From the Administrative Board, the plan went to the Faculty, the College's highest appeal board. But the Faculty then showed no interest, upheld the decision of the Administrative Board.

Since then, Dean Bender became Dean of Admissions and the then Dean of Freshmen Dolmar Leighton took over as Dean of Students.

Indications were that Dean Leighton would propose liberalizing the rules somewhat, particularly since the majority of the Housemasters implied several times that they favored more liberal rules.

This fall, the proposal turned up as it has since the war, but administrative officials felt change, or at least a compromise, was acceptable