Dever Denies Charges On 'USA' Suppression

By Philip M. Cronin

Governor Paul A. Dever, in an interview with the CRIMSON at the State House last night, denied "categorically" that he was responsible for the banning of "U.S.A. Confidential."

Nevertheless reports continued circulating within the State House that Dever had issued orders to direct booksellers to withdraw the book.

Dever stated that "there has been no ban or pressure directed against the book. Murphy (Commissioner of Public Safety Daniel I. Murphy) has only passed out advice." Murphy had directed State Police to inform booksellers to withdraw the books because it is "foul, libelous, and obscene."

Many reports contend that State officials disliked certain remarks made about the state government and certain individuals, including Governor Dever.

When informed of this allegation, Dever stated that "if the CRIMSON makes such a statement, I will say that the CRIMSON'S reputation for accuracy will suffer."

Dever said that the "advice' 'issued by Murphy came as a result of "Harvard graduates who were concerned with attacks made on Harvard" in the book.

Earlier when informed that several Law School Faculty members believed that Murphy acted outside of his jurisdiction, the Commissioner of Public Safety replied that "if that is their opinion, then they're entitled to it."

Samuel H. Post '45, an executive of Crown Publishers, the New York firm which published the book, yesterday charged Massachusetts authorities with "official intimidation" of book distributors.

But not a book merchant in the Square or in Boston indicated yesterday that he intended to start selling "U.S.A. Confidential" this morning, despite Post's statement that Crown would defend them against legal action "if anything happens." Official release date is today, although most stores in the area had been selling advance copies before Commissioner Murphy's "advice" last Thursday.

Distributors said they intended to wait for legal clearance on the book, possibly by a test case in the State's courts. However, members of the Attorney-General's staff have repeatedly stated that no legal action is being planned at this time