All-American Spy

Cabbages & Kings

By Daniel Ellsberg

Dusting off some old notes before generals. I came across an almost verbatim episode of a radio series I followed each Wednesday night last summer. "He Walks Alone," the adventures of Bob Barkeley, was one of thase rare programs (less rare these days, I understand) that is not afraid to express a point of view--specifically, the American point of view--without mincing words. To me, "Communism" was just a strange foreign-sounding name in the newspapers until Bob Barkeley began to make the headlines come alive, the day's editorials sound wishy-washy. If this sample, which seems as timely now as then, should arouse enough interest, perhaps the station could be persuaded to reissue the entire series.

Bob Barkeley, as the title suggests, walks alone ("through a dense jungle of intrigue"). He masks his activities as an American undercover agent, or spy, with a job as crack reporter for Amalgamated Press, (this touch was rather a bold answer to Red charges last summer about William Oatis). As this episode opens, he is off to get a statement from General Wang Tai, head of the Nationalist, forces on Formosa ("All names and places are fictitious").

Meanwhile, General Hung Ho of the Nationalist headquarters talks nasally to a subordinate. "Comrade," he says, "if Bob Barkeley sends out Wang Tai's message to the American people, their legislature would have to take action. We would be ruined." The two conspirators decide to kidnap Wang. "In the confusion following his disappearance, we would be able to do . . . many things."

At the airport in Formosa, Barkeley is met by his interpreter, a seductive half-caste named Rita Lo-yang. Without hesitation, the agent makes a heavy play for Rita; though for all he knows her father is Mao Tsetung. Rita, however, takes no advantage of his importunity; she refuses to skip a meeting of the General Staff to have dinner with him.

After the meeting that night, General Wang Tai, holding one nostril shut as he speaks, informs Hung Ho that he has been "observing your reactions to certain propositions."

"And my reactions were . . . ?"

"Those of a Red sympathizer."

Ho, sobered by his loss of face, is forced to accompany the General and Rita to the meeting with Bob Barkeley; but halfway there Red soldiers stop the car, shoot two aides and beat up the driver, taking Wang prisoner. "I suppose you will shoot me like the General," Says Rita. "So sorry," hisses Hung. "I have other plans for you." They depart for the waterfront.

In a matter of minutes Barkely has discovered the driver and is off to the pier. As the boat bearing the captives pulls away. Barkeley leaps onto the deck and applies judo to a man on watch. Quickly he removes the unconscious Red's coolie shirt and slips it on. Hardly has he a chance to compose his features inscrutably when he is discovered. In two action-packed minutes, with the announcer keeping score, Bob's brisk punches K.O. five more comrades, all of whom, he points out, have "egg chins." He rescues Rita, who breathes, "You're wonderful." "Save that for tea," says Bob, clubbing a reviving Red to the deck. In the midst of a tussle with Hung Ho, the Communist general is shot accidentally by his own aide.

But all is not won, for over their bows whistle shots from an approaching Allied ship. "Listen, Rita," says quick-witted Bob, "what color petticoat are you wearing?"

"White."

"Then strip it off."

"I can't," says Rita insecurely. "In front of you?"

"Hurry, you must do as he says" General Wang orders. "Bob Barkeley is in command here."

"There's as complete a token of surrender as ever I saw," chuckles Bob as the petticoat is hoisted aloft, Later, aboard the Navy ship, he is again the newspaper-man; his first thought is for a wireless. "I'll see you later," he says suggestively to Rita, "at dinner. We can . . . talk."

"Dinner?" she says. "Talk?"

"He Walks Alone," says the announcer.