Dartmouth's Passing Attack Faces Test Today As Strong Crimson Line Awaits Indian Team

30,000 Expected in Stadium Today for 55th Renewal of Old Rivalry

By David L. Halberstam

Anyone upset by the spectre of Columbia's Claude Benham throwing a pass should stay home today when Harvard plays DARTMOUTH and Bill Beagle at 2 p.m. in the Stadium.

for if Benham is good, then Beagle may be better, and a basically weak Dartmouth team, with a spectacular passer rates a toss-up against Harvard's strong line and single wing offense.

Today's game with the thrice beaten green won't decide the Ivy League championship, but it should prove at least one thing: just exactly how much the varsity football team has learned from the Columbia loss. For if the crimsons is to win today, it must stop another strong passing team, land in the process vary its own offense a little more.

Last week Lion quarterback Benham completed 16 of 31 passes while the Crimson's failure to pass allowed the Columbia defense to pack in and limit the Crimson running attack to a mere six first downs. Even if the Crimson can't stop the efficient Beagle, it must disguise it own single wing offense with enough passing to keep the Dartmouth defense honest.

Over the past two years the Dartmouths have left the stadium losers, but convinced that had they passed more the result would have been different. Today there is little possibility that the Green won't pass enough. On the contrary, the weaker Dartmouth line, and average Indian runners make it almost mandatory that when the Indian move they do it through the air.

Jordan Practices Pass Defense

But if Dartmouth Coach Tuss McLaughry and quarterback Beagle are conscious of the necessity of throwing, then so is Crimson Coach Lloyd Jordan. All week long he emphasized pass defense in practice. Beagle's favorite target is a 6' 2" end named Dick Flagg, currently 11th in the nation in receiving. Beagle himself rates fifth in passing.

Probably the ranking least likely to be challenged today is the Crimson's position as seventh in the nation in rushing defense. Dartmouth has some capable backs in Captain Lou Turner and Lou Revere, but the Crimson has a superior line more than capable of stalling the best of runners.

Painter to Start

Center Jan Meyer is resting a bad back today, but in his place Jordan will start junior Art Painter, a converted fullback, who tackles as if he didn't expect--or want the runner to get up. The only Crimson regular not certain of starting is agile tackle Orville Tice, who hurt his ankle against Columbia. A key man in the Crimson's running plans, Tice may be able to play today. If he isn't ready, senior Bill Frate will start.

Jordan will start the same backfield, but chances are that tailback Matt Botsford will throw more to upset the Dartmouth defensive alignments. In other attempts to vary his attack Jordan may use tailback Joe Conzelman and quarterback Phil Hanghey as passers and the left handed John Simourian at wingback. Reserve tailback Jim Joslin, a more powerful runner then the slim Botsford, has been bothered by a bad leg, but may be ready today.

With Painter in the line will be standout guards Bill Meigs and Captain Tim Anderson, tackle John Maher, Tice or Frate, and ends Bob Cochran and Joe Ross.

For Dartmouth today's game is probably the biggest break in the schedule so far. After beating Holy Cross in an exciting opener, the Green has lost three straight to Navy, Army, and Colgate.

Over 30,000 people are expected to crowed into the Stadium and near ideal weather conditions are predicted. The weatherman promises temperature in the middle 60's