Oberschall Scores in Soccer Team's 1-0 Win Over Tigers

Mud Slows Offense

By Walter E. Wilson

The Harvard soccer team won its best game of the season Saturday, upsetting Princeton, the Ivy League leader, by a score of 1 to 0 in the muddy slop of the Business School field.

Harvard's attack caught Princeton early in the first quarter before the roaring Tiger could get all its cubs together. Center halfback Tony Oberschall drove a rising shot from 20 yards out past Princeton's goalie for the game's only score.

The first quarter ended with cries of "Hey, what's going on, you Tigers" and "Well, let's start to move out there, you Tigers," rising from the Princeton bench.

With a second quarter shift of wind against Harvard, Princeton organized its attack in an effort to carry the ball through the hungry pool of mud left in mid-field by Friday's rain. Harvard's short passing attack slowed halfway through the second quarter after the team's spirited first quarter burst, and as the half ended, fullbacks Lanny Keyes and Chris Provensen found the Princeton line strong and very anxious to score.

Strategy Changed

With an invaluable one-goal lead and the winds again at Harvard's back at the start of the second half, Coach Bruce Munro decided to switch to a more defensive game, gambling on a 1 to 0 win. The halfback line withdrew more often to augment the fullback strength, and the two insides played farther back to meet the Princeton forward line where the halfbacks normally would have.

This defensive strategy proved wise, for while Harvard's line could not press any sustained attack without the support of their withdrawn halfbacks, Princeton drives were broken up by five or six men where normally three or four would have played.

Princeton did not play a bad game after recovering from its initial lapse, but was beaten by a Crimson team which used nearly its full potential in a combined 11-man effort. The defense played perhaps a slightly better game. Halfbacks Marsh Schwartz, Oberschall, and John Felstiner, fullbacks Provensen and Keyes and goalies Tom Bagnoli effectively broke the back of the Princeton line, which had scored 18 goals in Ivy League competition this year.

The forward line of Larry Ekpebu, Tom Bernheim, Rog Tuckerman, Captain Jim Shue, and Ken McIntosh harassed the Princeton defense all afternoon, passing even through the bog in a style that if repeated will easily beat Brown and Yale.