Squash Varsity Eliminates Navy As Emmet Continues Undefeated

By Bartle Bull

If it is possible to decide a League title this early in the season, the Crimson squash team did it Saturday afternoon when it thrashed an ambitious Navy team 8 to 1.

Playing on its home courts, the varsity displayed both depth and excellence in avenging last year's 6-3 loss at Annapolis. As the results of the matches came in, Navy's hopes of retaining the Eastern Intercollegiate Squash League championship became increasingly modest.

Crimson captain Gerry Emmet, after narrowly losing his first game in extra points, came back dramatically to win his match in four games. Emmet's combination of delicate drop shots and slashing aisle shots allowed him to retain control of the center of the court, while the Midshipman was obliged to scamper around him.

At the number two position, Tim Gallwey was able to win only one game in losing to Navy's Ed Lowry. Frequently hurrying his shots and dropping many into the tin, Gallwey lacked his usual accuracy and was often put off balance by Lowry's powerful serve.

Navy's claim to great depth was compromised by its failure to take a single game from Holleran, Vinton, Lake, Lemann or Smith, who played numbers three through seven for the Crimson. In one of the most conclusive matches of an already decisive day, Peter Smith won his first game 15 to 1. Alden Briggs and Doug Poole completed Navy's defeat by taking the two final matches.

Harvard recently joined Yale in dropping Navy from its future schedules, and Saturday's victory was particularly relishing to the Crimson and unwelcome to Navy. Annapolis has long been unpopular for its overheated courts and wildly partisan crowds. Last year Yale charged it with rigging the lineup.

When Navy gained the League title last year after playing all its tough matches at home, there were many reservations about its victory.

But the Crimson clearly demonstrated its superiority under normal playing conditions. Navy's practice of slamming every serve and pounding every shot was futile in courts where the ball did not get overheated and make exaggerated rebounds.