Crimson Defeats Cornell Nine, 8-6; Johnson Pitches

Fuller Beans Two, Incites Team's Ire

By Bryce E. Nelson

After an explosive opening, the varsity baseball team settled down to outscore the Cornell nine 8 to 6 Saturday at Soldiers Field to pick up its third E.I.B.L. victory.

Saturday's trouble all started in the bottom half of the first when Cornell moundsman Larry Fuller hit Chet Boulris square on his batting helmet. This action aggravated Boulris who started for Fuller but then proceeded to first base. Feelings still ran high, resulting in a physical exchange between Boulris and Big Red first sacker Ron Ivkovich.

Umpires Threadgold and Mahan had barely gotten the situation under control, when Charlie Ravenel was hit by another Fuller pitch. With bat upraised, Ravenel charged after Fuller but stopped half-way to the mound.

Even though Ravenel was hit again in the fifth inning, the game proceeded with some measure of calmness except for some ungentlemanly comments from the Cornell bench.

Each team scored once in the emotional first inning. In the second, with two out, the Crimson exploded. After George Harrington had doubled, Al Martin walked, and John Davis singled, Boulris wrought his revenge on Fuller by belting a three-run triple. Boulris scored on an error to give the Crimson four runs for the inning, and a lead which the vasity never relinquished throughout the game.

Boulris drove in another run with a single in the fourth inning and a fifth run with another single in the eighth, to lead the Crimson offense. Other offensive leaders were Harrington and Davis who collected two hits apiece, and Martin, who scored four of the Crimson runs.

Crimson hurler By Johnson held Cornell to three runs and five hits during the first seven innings. The Idaho ace exhibited superb form, striking out ten Cornell batters and walking only three.

However, in the eighth, the top of the Big Red order seemed to catch on to Johnson's timing, collecting two singles, a double, and a triple to score three runs.

* * *

In a 9-1 victory Friday over a weak Holy Cross team, the Crimson nine put on perhaps their best performance of the year. Pitcher Wally Cook, less effective earlier in the spring, held the Crusaders to only four hits, while the Crimson amassed twelve off straight-baller Eugene Malinowski.

The typically sparse Soldiers Field crowd watched a gusty wind aid Cook's curve, as he struck out eight, walking only two. Cook's control was marvelous, and he had the opposing batsmen off-balance throughout the game, giving his team a relatively easy day in the field.

Holy Cross coach Jack Barry, saving his two first line hurlers for Saturday, stubbornly refused to take out Malinowski who was singularly ineffective. He had an impressive windup but his invariable semi-fast ball was an easy target for the Crimson.

First baseman Al Martin led the display of power with four hits, climaxed by a long triple over center fielder Gwozdz' head, and also scored three of the Crimson runs.

The game, a tight one for the first four innings, began to show signs of a rout in the bottom of the fifth, when four singles, an error, and a sacrifice fly accounted for three runs. Malinowski remained in the game, and gave up four more scores in the last frames