Honor System's Failure Puts Checkers at 'Cliffe

By Susan Engelke

President Bunting said yesterday that checkers have been employed in the Radcliffe dining rooms because "the Honor System has not been working."

She told the Radcliffe Government Association at the first meeting of the year that the Administration was "concerned about the number of meals being taken. In an effort to make the system flexible, girls have had their choice between a box lunch, lunch at the dorm, or lunch at the Graduate Center, but some have taken all three at the same meal."

One RGA delegate suggested that the checkers be replaced by an appeal for adherence to the honor system. But Mrs. Bunting said that girls "shouldn't have to be warned about the honor system."

Mrs. Bunting said she hopes the system will not have to be continued too long, but checkers will be outside the dining rooms at lunch and dinner until "the number of meals lines up reasonably with the number of girls in the College."

The final decision on the length of their stay will be made by Marjorie C. Russ, the College dietitian, but Mrs. Bunting suspects it will be two to three weeks. After that time, however, spot checks will be made throughout the remainder of the year.

'Cliffie Protested

The meal problem allegedly came to the attention of the Administration when a student in one of the brick dormitories complained that some girls from off-campus houses were eating two meals a day in the dormitories.

Mrs. Bunting said that "some girls who are not even members of Radcliffe receive free meals by wearing their hair the right way and acting like they are from off-campus."

Since the checkers appeared three days ago, many 'Cliffies have been resentful because "it is not consistent with the honor system" and "waiting in line 15 minutes to be checked off simply is not a part of gracious living."

Backs South House Experiment

At the meeting, Mrs. Bunting urged 'Cliffies in South House to stop attacking the experimental lunch set-up because of the checker system. She stressed that the checkers' presence was a completely unrelated consideration.

"The experiment was initiated in South House on the request of the Faculty associates, who complained that when they went to the 'Cliffe for lunch there were not enough girls there and that there was not sufficient time to talk to those who were. If the students, who are always anxious for more Faculty members to come to the 'Cliffe, are not interested in the experiment, it will be discouraging for the Faculty associates."