JFK Library to House Special Study Institute

Politicians and Scholars Will Staff Center

By Hendrik Hertzberg

The John F. Kennedy Memorial Library will probably house an "institute" designed to bring politicians, scholars and students together, Presidential Assistant Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38 said yesterday. The idea has the full support of the Kennedy family and the University.

Unlike the museum and archives sections of the Library, which the Federal government will control, the institute would operate under the auspices of several Boston area universities. One innovation that might result would be professorial chairs established jointly by the several universities.

Schlesinger said the idea emerged in a series of discussions held in Washington. Among those participating were Samuel H. Beer, professor of Government, John Kenneth Galbraith, Paul M. Warburg Professor of Economics, Seymour E. Harris '20, Lucius N. Littauer Professor of Political Economy, Emeritus, and Don K. Price, Jr., Dean of the Faculty to Public Administration.

Harvard would play the largest part in administrating and staffing the institute. Boston University and M.I.T are likely participants in the project.

"The institute will seek to further one of President Kennedy's deepest concerns," Schlesinger declared, "that of bringing together the world of ideas and the world of affairs--the world of scholarship and the world of decision.

"Politicians, as they've come to be categorized, and scholars have much to learn from one another," Schlesinger continued. "Our purpose now must be to enlist young Americans and young people the world over in the understanding and practice of democratic political life and public service."

Not Too Rigid

Schlesinger emphasized that the institute's program must not be too rigidly structured because "Intellectuals and those in government affairs can be brought together in a variety of ways" and the institute must be sensitive to the times.

Many programs are now being considered, including lectures and seminars by scholars and public servants from all over the world.

A special endowment would be required to set up the institute. The current drive to raise $8 million for the Kennedy Library covers only the museum and archives sections.