Cliffies May Get Tickets To Some Football Games

By Susan Engelke

The Faculty Committee on Athletic Sports has proposed that Radcliffe girls be given free tickets to most football games next fall on a trial basis, Dean Watson said yesterday.

Adolph W. Samborski '25, director of athletics and chairman of the committee, confirmed Watson's statement, but added that no action can be taken until Dean Ford approves the committee's recommendations.

Contacted earlier, Arthur D. Trottenberg, assistant dean for resources and planning, said that he expects definite action to be taken next week.

If Ford gives his approval, Cliffies will each be entitled to one ticket for all home football games except the Dartmouth and Yale games.

Watson said that "the committee was quite willing to grant concessions." However, at Dartmouth, Princeton, and Yale games he explained, the stadium is practically filled by just Harvard students and alumni. "When there isn't enough room, we can't cater to the girls, when there is enough room, we're willing to try it."

A subcommittee was appointed to study the question when RGA asked last November that Cliffies be issued free tickets to Harvard athletic events. Mrs. Bunting reportedly negotiated the matter for Radcliffe.

The present proposal by the Faculty Committee on Athletic Sports covers only football games. Watson indicated that whether free tickets are issued to other athletic events as well would probably depend on the success of the trial this Fall and on the attendance at the particular event.

As far as hockey is concerned, he speculated that it would probably depend on which game it was, adding that "students and alumni pretty well fill the stands already."

While Radcliffe students are already permitted to use Watson Rink, the tennis courts, and sometimes the swimming pool, there had been some question, when RGA first submitted the proposal, about what services the Radcliffe tuition money transferred to Harvard actually covered.

At that time, Radcliffe Comptroller Robert J. Maguire said, "Our money goes to pay for our share of instruction and library fees, but there are also other costs involved that are not clearly defined. I couldn't really say just what the tuition money we turn over to Harvard is supposed to cover.