Crimson Stickmen Play Cornell

By Susan Engelke

The Harvard lacrosse team travels to Ithaca to take on a Cornell squad that doesn't figure to be in the running for the Ivy title come May.

Last is the league with a 1-5 record last year, the Big Red is considerably bolstered by the return of sophomore sensation Bruce Cohen to the line-up. Cohen, out with an injury all last season, was named to the All-Ivy first team in 1963 when he led the league in scoring.

The Crimson puts a 1-1 league record on the line. Cornell, in its only league contest, lost to a powerful Yale squad 15-5 last Saturday. Although they have not played any of the same Ivy teams, Cornell and Harvard met two of the same clubs on their Southern trips.

The Big Red fell before Maryland 13-6 and lost to the University Club of Baltimore 13-12 in a very tight contest. The Crimson, plagued by injuries and lack of practice, lost to Maryland 12-5 and to Baltimore 11-4.

Harvard's venture south was a disaster and not indicative of the team's potential. It was the first time the team had played together, and after a few sessions several key players were sidelined with injuries.

The team has improved with each encounter, Munro rates the Brown game as one of the team's best. Dan Calderwood and Harry Van Oudenellen, who were doubtful starters because of injuries, played most of the game against the Bruins and are ready to meet Cornell. Captain Fred Gates, who was sidelined with a pulled hamstring muscle for the Brown encounter, may be out for the Cornell contest as well.

Munro was pleased with the overall team performance in the Brown game, especially on attack where there was more teamwork than in earlier games. The coach also felt that his defense was clearing better.

After today's Cornell match, the Crimson battles Williams in a non-league contest Tuesday on the business school field.