Lacrossemen End Season Against Yalies Tomorrow

By Susan Engelke

The Yale lacrosse team comes to Cambridge tomorrow as the Crimson attempts to avenge the 9-6 defeat they suffered at New Haven last year.

Playing without defenseman Fred Gates who was on crutches, the porous Harvard defense could not withstand the powerful Bulldog attack. The loss, only Harvard's second in League action last season, dropped the Crimson into a three-way tie for first place.

Harvard and Yale have identical 1-4 records in League play this year and are currently tied wth Cornell for fifth place. Whoever loses here tomorrow will end up in the cellar with Cornell, a sure loser against Princeton next weekend.

The Crimson's only League victory came against Brown, 8-7. Yale fell to the Bruins 11-9. But they topped Cornell 15-5, while the Crimson lost to the Big Red 9-4.

Last Saturday, the Bulldogs hosted the powerful Tigers in a game so important to the Eli that the Yale Bowl was reserved for the encounter. The Tigers came out on top 10-8. The week before, the Crimson fell to the powerful Princeton ten, 7-5, in a game which Coach Bruce Munro still feels turned on a disputed Princeton goal which the referee counted.

Mac Bradford, Bruce Corbridge, and Dick Perching spearhead the Bulldogs' attack, splitting the scoring chores pretty evenly between them. The Yale offense has averaged about nine goals per game against League opponents.

The Crimson has averaged six goals per game against the same competition.

Junior Ted Leary is the Crimson's leading scorer with 13 goals and 13 assists. Senior Dick Ames is second with 11 goals and 9 assists, and sophomore Keith Hutchinson third with 9 goals and 4 assists.

The 21 points Ames has recorded so far this season put him near the top ten Harvard career scorers. Credited with 63 points in the two previous seasons, Ames career total is only 4 points behind the number ten man, Pete Sieglaff, who tallied 77 goals and 10 assists for the Crimson over the 1960-62 seasons.

The big contest this weekend takes place in Princeton when the Dartmouth, Indians and Princeton Tigers, both sporting unblemished records, meet for the Ivy title.

Harvard and Yale face off tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. on the Business School field.