NYU's Duellers Parry Harvard For 18-9 Victory

By Jeffrey C. Alexander

NEW YORK, December 16--New York University's fencers hardly bothered to take off their National Championship warm-up jackets this afternoon in dealing the young and inexperienced Harvard team an 18-9 defeat.

N.Y.U., playing its first home match of the season before a vocal crowd of 200, fenced all nine matches in the first round without a loss. Bob Barnard began to ease the embarrassment of the second round with a 5-3 victory over N.Y.U.'s number two saber. Harvard won three of the next five saber bouts, confirming the trend of the season's first four matches which indicated greater strength in saber than epee or foil.

Ron Winfield, a junior who won all three of his bouts last week against C.C.N.Y., was victorious in his 1st two saber matches and substitute Abott won a third round saber match against Nelson.

Epee

Fouts, Jergesen, Ruderman, and Theodore accounted for Harvard's other points. Jergesen, who is as graceful as any daring dueller on the late show, won two matches in epee.

"This is a building year," said Harvard's fencing coach, Edo Marion. "We still have a lot to learn. We don't have enough point control in epee and foil; there were too many off target hits today." He added that Harvard's starting line-up will "certainly have to be reshuffled" before the regular Ivy League season begins after Christmas vacation. The alterations will be made in favor of substituting some sophomores for seniors, Marion said.

N.Y.U. has won the national championship six of the last ten years and is expected to do so again this season. Last week they beat Yale 14-13.