Yokel Starts 'New Left' Sheet; Free Press to Hit New England

By Jeffrey C. Alexander

After 191 year s of confederation, New England is finally getting a "free press."

The first 6000 issues of "The New England Free Press" are being printed today. They will appear on Cambridge newstands early next week.

According to co-founder Michael Yokel, an M.I.T. senior, the publication will focus debate on issues of concern to the New England. This is our primary goal, not to have a professional newspaper." Yokel is a veteran of Students for a Democratic Society.

The first issue is an eight page news-letter. The second issue, published two weeks from today, is a 20 page news-letter-magazine combination.

One article in the current newsletter is entitled "The NCNP Convention and Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." A second long article examines the September 13th army base demonstration by the Boston Draft Resistance.

The magazine will be aimed at practical matters also. "This is not a theoretical or scholarly journal," says Yokel. "We are writing about problems people in the movement face which have grown out of organizing situations."

The newsletter will have three sections: (1) Calendar notices announcing events like demonstrations planned or speeches, or the formation of new radical groups in New England. (2) Short news articles reporting events such as significant efforts to protest he war. (3) One or two feature-length articles which attempt in-depth analysis of strategies important to radical organizing.

In the forthcoming magazine, one article will deal with "Organizing Professionals." There will also be a "Power Analysis of the Boston Mayoralty Election."

No Hippies

"The New England Free Press" which has its offices at 39 E. Springfield St. in Boston, will not report on the hippy culture-yet. "We are including some good artwork from the hippies," Yokel Says, "but whether or not we would like actually to write about he culture as well as the politics of the Left is purely a matter for discussion. Presently we can't afford to. Maybe someday."