Harvard Eleven Meets Upset-Minded Brown

Weak Bruins to Challenge Crimson Bid for 8th Win

By Joel R. Kramer, Game Time: 1:30 p.m.

After four straight games against highly-rated teams, Harvard's varsity football squad gets a breather when it takes on an impotent Brown eleven here today.

If the Crimson win, as they should, it will be the first time since 1913 that a Harvard football team has remained undefeated for its first eight games. The win would also give Coach John Yovicsin the 100th victory of his 16-year college coaching career.

Despite several injuries to the Crimson's interior offensive line, despite the fact that Harvard is not likely to be as mentally up for this game as for the last four, and despite the fact that Harvard-Brown games this decade have been closer, this one figures to be a romp.

Brown Loses Five

Brown has not only lost all five of its Ivy contests, but has been outscored in them, 181 to 33. In losing to Cornell last Saturday, 31-0, the Bruins were held to 56 yards rushing and 8 yards passing.

A sieve even at full strength, the Bruin defense will have to face the Crimson without the services of defensive tackle Pete Zwarg, who sprained an ankle and Achilles' tendon against the Big Red.

Yet, in the midst of this statistical proof of Brown's ineptitude, one game glares out: the Bruins beat Colgate, 27 to 19, a team that had earlier defeated Princeton.

Marini to Kontos

The men to watch in whatever Brown offense there is are sophomore quarter-back Brian Marini, and his favorite receiver Greg Kontos. The rushing work-horse is senior Tom Lemire, who has amassed 578 yards for a 4.2 yards per carry average.

The Crimson, riding an unexpected winning streak, enter the Brown game with several question marks on the offensive line. Guard Bob Jannino, suffering from a hamstring pull, will probably not start, if he plays at all (although it looks now like he might be ready for Yale).

Tackle Fritz Reed is set, but the two other tackles who have seen much action, Bob Dowd and Joe McGrath are injured. Dowd and McGrath will both play, sports information director Baaron Pittinger said Thursday, but both have "painful injuries, which could be aggravated in the game." John Kiernan will start again at right end, as Bruce Freeman is still sidelined by an arm injury.

Coach John Yovicsin will have to do some shuffling to create an offensive interior line. He has been working center Ted Skowronski at guard. If Skowronski starts there, Bob Teske will start at center. John Cassis has been working out at guard and tackle.

But Harvard's defense, leading the nation in defense against scoring, is healthy and intact, and should give a shuffled offense time to get accustomed to game conditions.

There is a good chance that Yovicsin will make some kicking changes. Richie Szaro, now recovered from injuries, will probably boot extra points, although Tommy Wynne will continue to handle longer field goals.

Wynne, who is a starting defensive back and also handles kick-offs, has "an awful lot of things to practice each week," Pittenger said, and Yovicsin is trying to give him a chance to concentrate on defensive play.