‘It’s a Limbo’: Grad Students, Frustrated by Harvard’s Response to Bullying Complaint, Petition for Reform

Community Groups Promote Vaccine Awareness Among Cambridge Residents of Color

Students Celebrate Upcoming Harvard-Yale Game at CEB Spirit Week

Harvard Epidemiologist Michael Mina Resigns, Appointed Chief Science Officer at eMed

Harvard Likely to Loosen Campus Covid Restrictions in the Spring, Garber Says

Blind Student Is Reclassified 1-A

By Laura R. Benjamin

Not even the disabled and blind will be left at Harvard Graduate Schools next year. Harold Krents, a blind first year Harvard Law student, has just been reclassified I-A by Local Draft Board 10 in Mt. Vernon, N.Y.

Krents had a II-S deferment all through his undergraduate days at Harvard, although he repeatedly informed his Draft Board that he has been legally blind all his life. "I wanted them to change my II-S classification to IV-F", he said. "But the change they finally made is just too much."

If needed, Krents is more than willing to serve, although he does have some reservations about his usefulness. "If the Army wants to give me a gun, they must want to get rid of some of our own generals," he said. "I can just see myself sitting in a trench. I'll just shoot whenever I hear anything move. I can hear the other soldiers saying, 'Private Krents, you just shot another officer--

The surprise move by Local Board 10 has not upset Krents particularly. He does hope the Army will give him some choice of mission: "If I go, my ambition is to be a bombardier. Then it wouldn't be too bad being a pilot either. I bear no ill feelings to the draft board whatever."

Known as a record setter--first blind person to dislocate his shoulder playing tackle football, etc.--Krents says he "might be the first American soldier captured in Vietnam while looking for the latrine."

Abel J. Levine, chairman of Local Board 10, denied that Krents' reclassification was a clerical error. "All I know is he has 30 days to appeal," he said. Krents is thinking it over.