CLIFFIE JAILED IN HUNGARY

By Laura R. Benjamin

A Radcliffe student is being held under investigative arrest in a local jail in Budapest, Hungary, an official of the State Department revealed yesterday.

Mary I. Bunting, president of Radcliffe, said she understood that Henrietta B. Blueye '70, and a friend were being detained because they had attempted to "smuggle someone out of Hungary."

Miss Blueye and her friend--an Italian citizen living in West Germany--were arrested on August 11, the State Department official said. The State Department knew nothing of the incident until early September, when Miss Blueye's parents, concerned because she had not returned on her Harvard Charter flight, contacted them.

There has been no formal charge or indictment yet, the official said. The American Embassy in Budapest is in touch with Miss Blueye's lawyer and with the Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, he added. The American Consul saw Miss Blueye on September 18, and reported that she seemed in good spirits, and that she was being treated well.

Radcliffe is also in touch with several people who may be able to help, Mrs. Bunting said. She did not know that Miss Blueye was being detained until she was reported missing by friends in early September.

Postcards were received from Miss Blueye in Budapest on August 10 and August 17 by Radcliffe friends, according to Elizabeth Platt, resident of Jordan W where Miss Blueye lives at Radcliffe. Neither card mentioned any disturbance. There have been no further communications.

Miss Blueye is an American Indian, from Basom, N. Y. Her field of concentration at Radcliffe was history. Her parents refused to comment on the situation.