NAC Members March Peacefully; Rubin Addresses Downtown Rally

By Shirley E. Wolman

More than 400 members of the November Action Coalition marched through downtown Boston Saturday afternoon in support of the National Liberation Front.

At the conclusion of the march, Jerry Rubin, one of the defendants in the Chicago Eight conspiracy trial, addressed the marchers in a rally at Copley Square, not far from one of the draft boards damaged early Saturday morning.

Right On

At Government Center, where the march began. Miles S. Rapoport '70 read the statement of "the Boston Eight," a group which claims responsibility for the draft board raids, "We think it's right on," Rapoport told the cheering crowd.

Although the march appears to mark the end of the recent demonstrations at M.I.T., Rapoport told the marchers that more action could be expected. "We'll be at M.I.T., and we'll be at Harvard, where they're saying, 'We got it last year, now M.I.T's getting it.' They've got another think coming," he said.

At the rally Rubin urged the demonstrators to go to Washington on the fifteenth and "surround the Justice Department" in order to stop the conspiracy trial in Chicago. Predicting that, if the trial continues, it will result in a verdict of guilty. Rubin said, "I have no faith... in the American judicial system. This trial will only be stopped in Washington on the fifteenth or in the streets."

He later explained that he meant the Washington protest to be peaceful, and said it was an effort to put political pressure on the Justice Department to stop the trial, "I think any violence [at that demonstration] will come from the police," he said.