Cardinal Cushing, 75, Dies Catholics Mourn Prelate

By Michael Ryan

Richard Cardinal Cushing, the former Roman Catholic archbishop of Boston. died yesterday at the age of 75. He had retired last month after more than 25 years as archbishop.

Cardinal Cushing acquired a nationwide reputation during his long career. The son of a South Boston blacksmith, he came to prominence as a friend and advisor to the Kennedy family. He gave the invocation at John Kennedy's inauguration in 1960, and also presided at his funeral three years later.

Cushing had been in failing health in recent years, and looked visibly weakened as he presided over the installation of his successor, Archbishop Humberto Medeiros, last month. The official announcement of his death said that he succumbed to "the complications of a long standing malignancy."

Bishop

Cushing had a long connection with Harvard, and was known as a personal friend of President Pusey. He received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from the University in 1959.

Cushing was severely criticized by many Catholics for his support of Mrs. Jacqueline Kennedy at the time of her marriage to Aristotle Onassis two years ago. He offered his resignation at the time, but then retracted it. Cushing's body will lie in state at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross until Saturday, when Archbishop Medeiros will preside at a Requiem Mass concelebrated by four other bishops.