Anti-War Activity Continues at Harvard

By Leonard S. Edgerly

Two weeks after a Harvard mass meeting of more than 3000 people voted to strike, participation in campus anti-war activities is dwindling, but many continue to plan for sustained political action over the summer.

The Peace Action Group, which sponsored the busing of over 1000 lobbyists to Washington soon after the strike vote, has collected a force of between 300 and 400 people who plan to work for peace candidates this summer.

Peace Action is presently concluding work on an alumni fund appeal to finance the summer work. Funds from the appeal will provide stipends for peace workers who need money to support their activities.

Thcodore J. Siff '70, a Peace Action coordinator, said last night "a lot of people are going home and a lot are just getting tired of doing things: it's sifting down to those who really want to work."

Meanwhile, SDS and the November Action Committee have planned a militant picket line in front of Massachusetts Hall at 8 a. m. today, but militant actions against Harvard have also suffered declining participation.

Dale B. Fink '71, an SDS spokesman, said yesterday that although "this has been the longest sustained militant action at Harvard, most don't have the commitment to dig in for a long fight."

'A Real Drag'

"Here the reaction after one day of picketing is that picketing is a real drag." Fink said.

In addition to summer plans. Peace Action is also organizing the continued lobbying of Senators and Congressmen in Washington. Fifty lobbyists left for Washington Sunday night, and several carpools will leave this week.

Anti-war activities are continuing in many Houses, but participation is down substantially. The Dunster House canvassing effort ended over the weekend because, according to one organizer, "fewer and fewer people were coming, and a small number were doing all the work."

Community canvassing has continued from the Tonkens Room at Winthrop House, despite bad weather and declining interest. Briefing sessions on canvassing techniques will be held all day today, and Winthrop organizers are still circulating petitions on the Mc-Govern-Hatfleld amendment and on Referendum 70.

Laura R. Benjamin '70, a spokesman for the Winthrop group, said the cur-rent participation is "too little to feel good about but too much to close down."

At Adams and Eliot, students are sending letters to House alumni urging them to take stands against the war.

The Non-Violent Action Group will hold a return trip to the Boston Army Base on Friday. Workshops on non-violence will be held throughout the week, and those interested should contact the group at ext. 5526 for details.

Other activities will be announced in the daily Peace Action Newsletter.