Petition Post-Mortems Sing Those Old Free Speech Blues

By Bruce E. Johnson

Several student groups, representing a variety of opinions, have begun circulating petitions knocking Friday's disruption of a pro-war teach-in in Sanders Theatre.

After a long and heated discussion, members of the Indochina Teach-In Committee, which sponsored an antiwar gathering February 26, produced a petition which represented, in the words of one member, "a synthesis of viewpoints."

The Teach-In Committee's petition, while deploring "the denial of freedom of speech and the right to listen," reaffirms an "absolute opposition to the United States' reprehensible policy in Indochina."

"Parading spokesmen for that policy across college campuses with the protection for liberties which they deny to their own peoples, tests the limit of our tolerance," the petition continues.

Because it could not arrive at a consensus, the Teach-In Committee's petition does not mention any possible disciplinary measures.

Richard Zorza '71, a member of the committee, called the petition "a perfect call for leniency for all except those who incued people to completely prevent anything from taking place Friday night."

Zorza, who was shouted down by the protesters at the pro-war meeting, said yesterday the Indochina Teach-In Committee ought to share some of the blame for not providing an alternative to the planned disruption. Zorza added that he had decided not to file charges against the two pro-war students who had tackled him as he approached the stage at Sanders Theatre because "filing charges would be to acknowledge the legitimacy of the CRR."

Another organization, calling itself theAd Hoc Committee for Free. Speech, circulated a petition yesterday which urged "appropriate disciplinary action" against the Teach-In's disrupters and "similar firm disciplinary action" against any future attacks on "the right to freedom of expression."

"We wanted to mention discipline, not just mentioning free speech because anyone would sign a free speech petition," said William Selfidge '73. He said the ad hoc committee consists of "some Young Republicans, a McCarthy Democrat, and a few apathetic people." Selfidge said that the committee had gathered almost 400 signatures after one day.

Some House committees are planning to circulate petitions among members of their Houses. Robert Cobb '72, chairman of the Winthrop House Committee, said that the committee had met with the Master and some Winthrop tutors and wrote a "declaration on free speech."

The petition seeks to uphold the right of speakers to talk "on any subject, however controversial" and the right of students to hear "any speaker, however unpopular." Although opposing any attempt to prevent "the free expression of opinion," the Winthrop House petition does not offer any disciplinary suggestions.