Ideal Overseer: Success in Life And Distinction?

By Margot R. Hornblower

A few months ago Cynthia Smith decided to run for the Board of Overseers. "Cynthia Who?" was the puzzled reaction of some Harvard administrators. Not just anybody can be an Overseer of Harvard University.

According to Howard F. Gillette '35, general secretary of the Associated Harvard Alumni (AHA), "stature" is the main criterion for nominating Overseers.

Gillette also cited as desirable qualities: "Success in life, distinction in vocation, experience on boards of companies and decision-making activity in general and perhaps - although not necessarily - some fund-raising interest in Harvard."

Describing the ideal candidate for Overseer, Gillette added, "Of course, he must be reasonably electable. It helps if he is well-known nationally, or within the Harvard family, such as an athlete. It's not fair to put a man up if no one has ever heard of him."

Not many people have heard of Cynthia Smith-until now. She is a 1969 cum laude graduate of the Law School, where she was Treasurer and Director of the Legal Aid Bureau. A resident of Cambridge, she practices law and manages Cave Atlantique, Inc., a wine importing firm which she founded with her husband. She is also a trustee of the Avon House, a well-known Social Agency in Cambridge. When Smith learned that only 200 signatures were required to place a candidate on the Overseers