Mass. Re-Elects Brooke to Senate By 100,000 Votes

By Tony Hill, Special to The Crimson

By an expected margin of 100,000 votes Senator Edward Brooke won re-election yesterday defeating John Droney Middlesex County District Attorney.

With the dregs of George McGovern's presidential concession speech in the background. Brooke told a victory party of 250 people in the ballroom of the Sheraton Plaza Hotel that his resounding victory makes me an even more tree man in the United States Senator.

Promising to support the President where I think he's right and to disagree where I think he's wrong. Brooke said his number one priority was "to do everything I can to assure peace in Vietnam and across the world."

"Winning elections is not the only thing." Brooke said, stressing that uniting the nation and healing its wounds" was one of his chief goals.

Brooke's victory was never in doubt. However, him plurality appears as if it will be less than some anticipated.

In his acceptance speech. Brooke said that his Senate duties had presented him from campaigning as much as he would have like to.

Brooke's statement that "this is a great state even though you didn't vote for my president" brought a scattering of boos from the numerous McGovern supporters among the senator's faithful.

"But I knew that, I just didn't want it to go below 51 per cent," he said explaining that he sacrificed part of his plurality in an effort to boost the chances of local Republican candidates and the president.

In an interview in his suite after his acceptance speech. Brooke said that his plurality was cut by his announced support of President Nixon and local Republican candidates.

During the night, family, friends, and close well-wishers of the senator crowded into a sixth floor suite of the Sheraton Plaza, watching the returns come in on T.V. Downstairs in the ballroom. Your Father's Moustache and Don Russell's five-piece band beat out festive old-timey tunes for 250 of the faithful.

"We won again," said a Brooke supporter. "There are two politicians is the country now; Nixon and Ed Brooke."