Cambridge Police Reveal Descriptions Of 2 Suspects in $500,000 Art Thefts

By Steven Luxenberg

Cambridge police and federal investigators are searching for two white males in their twenties in connection with the theft of three Jackson Pollock paintings.

The paintings were stolen last Thursday from the Cambridge apartment of Reginald R. Isaacs, Norton Professor of Regional Planning.

Cambridge detective Sgt. James A. Roscoe said last night that two witnesses saw two men put the paintings in a foreign-make car.

No Registration Number

The witnesses said that the suspects are about six feet tall and of slight build, according to Roscoe. He declined to give the registration number of the darkcolored car.

The three paintings are worth an estimated $500,000. The most valuable of the three works is a Pollock black and white entitled "no. 7,1951" acquired by Isaacs in 1951 for $700.

The other two paintings are from Pollock's drip period. Pollock painted one in 1948 and the other in 1949.

Roscoe said yesterday that the company which insures the three paintings has decided not to offer a reward. The company had said on Saturday that it might put up a substantial reward for information leading to the return of the stolen art.

The value of Pollock's work increased recently after the Australian National Museum purchased the American expressionist's "Blue Poles" for $2 million.

Federal investigators entered the case on Friday after an agent in the Boston FBI office read about the theft in the newspaper.

The FBI agents investigating the theft told the Isaacs that the FBI automatically enters cases involving more than $5000. They also said the FBI handles cases where the thieves may cross state lines.

Roscoe and Cambridge detective Lt. Fidele Centrella helped to solve another Harvard theft last May. The two detectives recovered coins worth $90,000 which were stolen from the Fogg Art Museum April 2.