Crime Committee Head Urges Masters to Take the Initiative

By Richard W. Edelman

The chairman of the Committee on Violent Crime said yesterday that House masters should take the initiative in implementing security measures in their Houses.

Stephen S. J. Hall, the chairman and vice president for administration, said, "Each master has control of what changes are made in his House. That's his domain."

"If a master wants improved security, he should agitate and ask the Faculty of Arts and Sciences for the necessary funds," he added.

Hall said the committee, which met for the second time today, will be concerned "basically with crime in the community at large. We will not be afraid, however, to recommend specific plans to House masters."

Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel for the University and another committee member, said yesterday the group discussed both physical changes such as lighting as well as ways to "educate the Harvard community about the problem."

Recommendations

The committee has assigned "the appropriate university resource," including the Planning Office and the Harvard Police, to consider specific situations and give the committee recommendations.

Hall said the University will act on inadequate lighting in stairwells and locks immediately. Buildings and Grounds will give "top priority" to any changes requested by the masters, Hall added.