College Enrolls Three Male Transfers

Contrary to Announced 'Moratorium' Policy

By Bennett D. Cohen

The Committee on Admissions has admitted three male transfer students with the incoming class of '78, despite an announced year-old policy stating that the College would reject all male transfer applicants for the 1974-75 academic year.

Calvin N. Mosley, associate director of admissions for transfers and special students, said yesterday the decision on the three transfer students was made in March, at the same time the Class of '78 was selected. Usually transfer applicants are considered in a separate process in May.

Last September's decision to place a moratorium on the admission of male transfer students came in response to the overcrowded condition of the Houses. Nineteen women transfers were accepted, but a limit of ten was placed on the number who were expected to live on campus.

Mosley said he, Dean Whitlock, and L. Fred Jewett '57, dean of admissions, had agreed to consider unusually-qualified applicants, while publicly refusing applications from male transfer hopefuls.

The three did so by placing the three transfer students' applications in the group of accepted freshmen applications and removing three freshmen applications to keep a prescribed number of acceptances. The Committee on Admissions then considered the transfers as freshmen in the final stages of the March process.

Incredible Credentials

"In two of the cases, the applicants had such incredible academic credentials that we would have been foolish to turn them away, and the faculty concurred," Mosley said. "In the other case, we made an informal agreement two years ago to admit a student if he did well at his local junior college."

This year, the Committee on Transfer Admissions will return to its pre-1974 methods. As in the past, there will be a target acceptance figure of 15 residents and five off-campus students out of the 1000-1500 male transfer applicants.

Mosley added that Radcliffe also planned to admit 15 transfer residents, but that since Radcliffe had a greater percentage of married and older women applying, it would probably take more than five off-campus students.