Crimson Squashes Navy's Raquetmen In Season Opener

By Amy Sacks

Crimson Coach Jack Barnaby '32 sat chatting with a raquetman behind fourth-ranked Cass Sunstein during Harvard's first match against Navy Saturday. Sunstein, still puffing and perspiring after his 3-0 victory, turned and tapped Barnaby's knee.

"We've won five of the nine already," Sunstein informed Barnaby. "It's your match."

Harvard's 8-1 sinking of a competent Navy batallion notched the 350th victory in Barnaby's soon-to-end 36-year career. But Barnaby just nodded nonchalantly at his informant and turned back to his conference.

In the courts below, Barnaby's number three disciple Jeff Wiegand was in mid-stream of blanking his midshipman. In the courts above, 6th and 7th ranked sophomores Mark Panarese and Ned Bacon also scored shutouts in their first varsity games.

Sleazy Shot

Navy's John Harris stole the second game from Crimson number two freshman John Havens, with a sleazy non-percentage corner shot in a one-point tie breaker. Havens, ranked second in national juniors, then exhibited his reknowned strength, grabbing the next two games for a stunning win.

The Navy audience was, as usual, loud and enthusiastic. "There was a Navy guy who kept shouting to my opponent 'Downtown, Jimmy, downtown,'" explained Sunstein. "It drove me crazy! I think that's why I won so quickly."

Harvard suffered it's only loss in the top position. It look midshipman Hoffman five long hard games to down fighting returning letterman Bill Kaplan in the last valiant match of the day.

"We proved that this is not a building year," an animated Barnaby said after the match. "I abhor that phrase. We have a lot of work to do but we welcome the challenge. it's no fun to just mop up. The satisfying thing is to win the tough matches."

Princeton is favored to win the Ivies for the second consecutive year. Unlike Princeton, Harvard has only four returning lettermen and no "big names."

But Harvard has Barnaby, the reigning "Godfather of Squash." A gold watch for Barnaby's retirement? No way. "Don Barnaby's" final racketeers plan to send him off with the greatest heist of their careers. Just watch.