Weinberger Discusses Higher Education

Opens Education Conference

By Jenny Netzer

Caspar W. Weinberger '38, secretary of Health, Education and Welfare, opened a three-day undergraduate conference on education last night with a denial that the federal government wants to interfere in the administration of universities.

"We do want to help with innovative ideas for all our institutions," Weinberger said, but added, "It is not at all clear that some single agent of change, such as government, should even attempt to impose standards of quality for higher education."

In his only reference to affirmative action, Weinberger conceded that there might be a "lowest common denominator" in higher education "such as ending outright misrepresentation and abuses" that might be imposed by the federal government.

"But the pursuit of quality in higher education cannot be advanced by a heavy-handed federal presence," Weinberger insisted. "This is a time for individual ideas and innovation."

The main role of the government, Weinberger said, should be to conduct the costly research about education that private institutions cannot fund, but leave the next step up to those institutions themselves.

President Bok spoke briefly on "the constraints that define the limits" of the steps universities can take, saying that complaints about the quality of education should be combined with "practical ideas" on how to improve it.

Quality, Net Quantity

For example, Bok said, a frequent complaint is that classes are too large. "Clearly it is the method of teaching rather than the size of the class itself that is critical," he said.

Another complaint, Bod said, is that courses are not relevant. "The answer cannot lie with familiarizing students with particular problems," he said.

In order to improve higher education, Bok said, you first have to define what you hope to gain from four years of college.

He said his own view is that a college education should "instill habits of thought so general that they are useful to any career;" assist in the choice of one's role in society; prepare students to live full lives outside their vocations; and acquaint students with fundamental ethical issues.

Students from over 50 colleges are attending the conference, organized by Bruce Ferguson '75 and funded by a $4000 grant from the Sloane Foundation.