Music Department Picks Tison Street To Teach Music 180

By Joseph Straus

The Music Department this month appointed Tison Street '65 as a preceptor to teach Music 180, Harvard's only course in musical performance.

Street will fill out the last year of the three-year term of Patricia A. Zander, preceptor in Music. Zander resigned last month because of what sources close to her described as dissatisfaction with the Music Department's de-emphasis of performance.

Fiddler on the Hoof

Street, who has worked as a free-lance violinist in the Boston area for the last two years, is best known as a composer. In 1973, he won the prestigious Rome Prize for composition and several of his works have been performed in Boston this year.

Leon Kirchner, Rosen Professor of Music and co-instructor of Music 180, yesterday praised Street's selection, citing his expertise in theory and analysis.

Street said yesterday that as a composer, he hopes to bring the students "a sense of what music could be from the inside."

The Music Department will create a search committee next year to make a long-term appointment to the position.

Kirchner, who supervised Street's graduate work in composition, said that many prominent musicians have expressed interest in the preceptorship, including Leonard Shure, Virginia Eskin, James O. Buswell IV '70, and Ruth Laredo.

"I'm not banking on staying--I'm used to planning my life year by year," Street said.