Transfer System Frees Quad Space

Decentralized Housing Plans Start

By Roger M. Klein and Ellen M. Parker

House offices sent a total of 41 acceptances to 128 transfer applicants yesterday, marking the implementation of a decentralized housing policy.

The new plan, under which students must apply directly to the individual Houses, resulted in a net decline of 24 students at the Quad, with a corresponding increase at the river Houses.

The number of students who applied to leave the Quad was not available. "We've only broken down the figures as to where they applied," Ann B. Spence, assistant dean of the College, said yesterday.

Houses accepted transfers under guidelines set up by Spence, beyond which they were to include such considerations as male-female ratio and class distribution.

Spence said that in cases where there was a large volume of applicants, House secretaries tended to consider the position of the House on the applicant's priority list.

Leverett, Mather and Quincy Houses admitted no transfers, while at least one, Lowell, conducted interviews as part of its admissions process.

William H. Bossert '59, master of Lowell House, said yesterday that he interviewed close to 80 per cent of Lowell's applicants.

Bossert said that while he was "quite satisfied" with the interview process, it was somewhat "awkward."

'Highest Ratio'

"We have the highest male-female ratio on campus, so we really wanted to admit more women," he said. "But most of the vacancies we had were in suites with men," he added.

Bossert said that he tended to discourage sophomores because Lowell already has 169 sophomores and only 93 juniors. "But I told them they might have a better chance in the spring. Every so often we have people who want to move up the Quad."