All Houses Will Serve Exam-Time Hot Breakfast

By Roger M. Klein

Students will receive a $15.50 reduction in their board bills next month, and all Houses will serve a limited hot breakfast during the January exam period, Dean Fox announced yesterday.

The eight Houses now offering cold breakfasts will continue to do so next semester, Fox said. He added that all Houses may also serve hot breakfasts, during the May exam period.

The decision not to fund hot breakfasts next term follows reduction in the Massachusetts meals tax, effective January 1, which produced a surplus of board payments for the University.

Student Poll

In January the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL), aided by administrators, will poll the student body on several College issues, including the hot breakfasts question.

Fox said he will "try to be as responsive as possible and at the same time fiscally responsible" in interpreting the poll.

The decision to provide hot breakfasts during exam period follows CHUL's 15-to-4 vote in favor of the measure.

The sponsor of the resolution proposing the change, Joseph F. Savage Jr. '78, Quincy House CHUL representative, said last Sunday the added service would avoid the crowding at hot breakfast Houses that might result from more students eating breakfast during the brief period immediately before their exams.

Eggs

According to Fox's decision, those Houses that now serve cold breakfast will offer one hot egg entree during January exam period and will limit their hours to the period of service for hot breakfast Houses--7:30 to 9:30 a.m. The hot breakfast Houses will continue to offer two breakfast entrees at regular hours.

Providing the added service will cost about $1 per student, for the January exam period, Frank J. Weissbecker, director of Food Services, said yesterday.

Fox said the University would pay for the hot breakfasts which will cost between $5.000 and $6,000 in sum, with surplus funds from other areas of the budget.

Fox said all Houses would also provide hot breakfasts during the May examination period if the January change "is well-received."

"If the results are ambiguous, a vote of CHUL would probably be a good way of deciding," Fox said.

Rebate

The $15.50 reduction in board fees will reach students as a $3-per-student refund of the money already collected in fall term bills, and a $12.50-per-student cut in spring board bills.

On Monday CHUL voted, 10-9, with 12 abstentions, against a student resolution to use the meals tax funds to fund hot breakfast for spring semester, although CHUL's student members voted, 6-5, with three abstentions, in favor of the resolution.

Fox cited the lack of CHUL support for the measure as a reason for his decision.