Farewell, Masters V.

DUNSTER

By Joanne L. Kenen

In an earlier era, House masters were occasionally as much of a permanent fixture in their Houses as the chandeliers in their dining halls. These days, masters barely seem to outlast their students.

Elizabeth W. Vorenberg and James Vorenberg '50, co-masters of Dunster House, announced this week that they will resign this June after completing their five-year term as masters.

In the letter announcing their resignation to House affiliates, the Vorenbergs cited a "need to return to a more private life."

The Vorenbergs believe masters should be highly visible in House life, but said they "are finding it difficult to get enough time for ourselves, while being involved in the life of the House in the way we believe masters should."

Several students in Dunster this week said they feel the Vorenbergs have been good masters and want to leave the House before they grow stale.

Administrators have not yet selected a replacement for the Vorenbergs, Dean Fox said this week, adding that more Faculty members are willing to serve as House masters now than in the late 60s and early '70s.