NYU Student Killed by Policeman

By Nicholas D. Kristof

NEW YORK--Members of the Chinatown community are charging a police cover-up following the death last month of a New York University (NYU) student who never regained consciousness after he was struck in the head by a nightstick during an argument with two ex-housing policemen.

Tzong-Huey Lin, a first-year student from Taiwan, was driving with a friend when his car was sideswiped at Sixth Avenue and 10th Street by a car belonging to one of the housing officers, the NYU student newspaper reported.

Lin and his companion left the car and argued with the officers, one of whom began struggling with Lin, the newspaper reported. Lin had a knife and the officer had a nightstick with which he beat Lin on the temple, Lin's companion, T.C. Chen, said.

Sixth precinct detectives released the officers immediately after questioning but held Chen overnight and charged him with menacing. Chinatown residents said the police listened only to the housing officers and refused to believe Chen. The officers charged that Lin and Chen were drunk and that they hit Lin in self-defense after he attacked them.

A police investigation is continuing.