Cannibal Honored

By Peter R. Eccles

BOULDER, Colo.--Students at the University of Colorado recently installed a bust of Alferd E. Packer, recognized as America's only convicted cannibal, in the corridor of a dininghall grill.

Officials at the school in Boulder, Colo., were not perturbed over the students' joke. Arthur Ingraham, director of food services, this week said that the sculpture more "reflected a spoof on the food service" rather than a harsh criticism.

The spoof actually began 15 years ago when the students voted to name the dining facility the Alferd E. Packer Memorial Grill. Every spring since then the university has held an Alferd E. Packer day that features a series of eating contests for the students.

Alferd E. Packer, an ex-Union soldier was sentenced to 40 years in the state penitentiary after having been convicted for killing and eating his five companions during an 1874 snowstorm in Colorado; the group had been searching for gold fields.

Ingraham, who also runs the annual celebration, said yesterday, "the activities are essentially gorge and public contests," adding, "the students stuff themselves until they throw up."

One year in addition to eating their annual treat of bloody ribs and raw meat to honor Packer's memory, the students had a human sandwich. He added, "they rolled out a girls in a bikini who was inside a hero bun, covered with mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard."

One student, John J. Veronis this week said, the bust "is great; it adds a lot of character to the atmosphere." He added that the bust was well located, "because it subconsciously picks up your appetite."