Hoopsters Waste Brown

Fleming's 32 Points Pace 96-85 Win

By Mark H. Doctoroff

Junior guard Calvin Dixon summed it up best "It was," he said, "a fun game to play."

And for a player like Dixon, who delights in a fast-paced, run-and-shoot sort of contest the men's basketball team's 96-85 victory over Brown Saturday night at the IAB must have been the best kind of fun.

With both teams way out of the Ivy League face, fighting, in fact, for sixth and seventh place, the squads relaxed into a fluid man-to-man style. As a result, the Crimson produced its highest point tally of the season, outstripping the 81-point total in Friday night's loss to Yale.

The win assured a disappointing sixth place finish for the Crimson, picked in some early-season predictions to win the Ivy League crown. To no one's surprise, Penn, with back-to-back victories at Cornell and Columbia over the weekend, picked up its second consecutive title.

Fleming Hits No. 1000

With all pressure off, the Crimson seemed content to help captain Donald Fleming become the first player to score more than 1000 points in the Ivy league since Princeton All-American and New York Knicks star Bill Bradley now a U.S. senator from New Jersey.

Fleming went into the Yale-Brown we send needing 44 points to reach the 1000-point plateau, and after a 14-point effort against the Elis, and missing five of his first six shots against Brown, his chances looked less than promising. But the 6-ft. 4-in, swing-man kept firing it up and before long hit the stride that made him the all-time leading Harvard scorer.

Besides Fleming senior Tom Clarke played his last game in a Crimson uniform Clarke, who Crimson Coach Frank McLaughlin has called the hardest working player on the squad, started in place of junior George White, and turned in eight points and some tough defense in 22 minutes of play.

Fleming played his best game of the season, going 14 for 26 from the floor in spite of his early dry spell and adding four straight free throws for a total of 32 points. In addition, he came up with eight rebounds and two steals. Much of his performance was vintage Fleming, popping from outside and taking the hall to the hoop with equal effectiveness.

Hot Shots

Fleming seemed to electrify the rest of the Crimson squad as well, particularly in the second half, when the eagers shot an astounding 20 for 25 (80 percent) from the field.

Leading by just three 40-37, after a lackadaisical first half, the Crimson fell behind momentarily in the early stages of the second before breaking the game open. Trailing 47-46, the Crimson embarked on a 14-2 tear, and the Brums never again came closer than five.