Women Lightweights Paste Wellesley

By Caroline R. Adams

The Radcliffe varsity lightweight crew team furthered its quest for a berth in the National Championships last Saturday morning when it demolished an outclassed Wellesley squad, and raised its season record to a perfect 3-0.

Simmons College--which was slated to compete--did not appear for the weigh-in or the race, but it is doubtful that its presence would have perturbed the Cliffie strokers, who established a half-boat lead over Wellesley after the first 20 strokes, then widened that margin to win by two generous lengths of open water

"We tore them apart," sophomore Kendall King, seat no 7, noted last night "Alter a while we were just racing against the clock."

The lights, who have put in countless hours of practice both in the tanks and on the water since last fall, had one of their biggest fan turnouts of the year dozens of rooter lined the Mass Ave Bridge, cheering lustily in the early morning hours.

This weekend the lights will face Rutgers in New Haven, and the following week will be the Eastern Sprint Championships Contingent upon good performances in both contests, the Radcliffe oars women will be invited in the National Championships to be held in early June.

THE NOTEBOOK Of additional inspiration to the rowers was a big, black "R" which the Harvard men's varsity lightweight crew team painted on the side of the MIT Boathouse, in retaliation for the "I" which now graces the side of the Harvard men's boat house

The Crimson Sports Cube would like to apologize to the Radcliffe light crew teams for inadvertently leaving them out of yesterday's sports pages. We'll get yo next time.