Brommer Sets New Mark At Harriers' First Meet

By Caroline R. Adams

Darlene Beckford, the fluid, fleet footed runner who has taken the first semester of her senior year off this fall to train for the 1984 Olympics--is not irreplaceable.

On Saturday, the Harvard women's cross country squad dazzled the 13 team competition at the University of Rhode Island's invitational without her help, winning handily with a few score of 61 points.

Lois Brommer made her Crimson debut with style, smashing the course record with new mark of 17:50.46. The Mechanicsbury, Pa-freshman lived up to her sterling national ranking among cross country runners with a hard fought victory in humid, 70 degree weather. Dogging her every step was sophomore Jenny Stricker, who held on throughout the fully 3.1 mile course to finish second with a 17.52 clocking.

It was a pretty good time nothing super outstanding. Brommer commented after the race. "I was pretty worried during the face though there were a lot of people on my tail.

Crimson sophomore Kate Wiley--last year's Ivy cross country champ--was among the pack following in Strickers and Brommer's footsteps during the first two miles Plagued with cysts in her knees and painful dental work however the Canadian native fell behind to finish eighth with a time of 18.14.

Last fall, Beckford, Wiley and Stricker formed a powerful triumverte that successfully knocked off most competition. This year it appears Brommer and the two sophomores oculd be an even more exciting trio, with comparable performances and times spurring them on to new heights.

Rounding out Harvard's top five were sophomore Kathy Goode (23rd) in 19:02 and junior Grace deFries (27th) in 19:09 troubles made Goode's entry a question mark up until the time of the race.

Ellen Gallagher made her first appearance after more than a year's layoff to finish a respectable 58th in 19:43. During her sophomore year, Gallagher steadily improved over the season to finish a consistent third to Beckford and last year's captain Kristen Linsley. Her indoor record was outstanding also, as she captured the Ivy 3000-meter laurels

THE NOTEBOOK. Sophomore Mirium Keltz felt under the weather at the meet, and chose to run in the "B" rather than the "A" race Her time of 19:51 outclassed the field and would have placed her just behind Gallagher... Sophomore Mary Jeanne Barrett is lost to the harriers for the season. The reason a stress fracture. Senior Wiley McCarthy was elected captain last week. She finished 67th with a time of 19:59. UNH, which was supposed to meet the harriers in a dual meet last Friday but cancelled at the last minute took second at the meet with 95 points.