Council Voids Dudley Elections

Faults Nomination Procedure

By Mary Humes

The Undergraduate Council last night voted to nullify the results of the recent Dudley House elections after a group of students affiliated with the House contested their validity.

Students complained that the procedure used to determine the names on the ballot was flawed.

When the deadline for nominations had passed, only three students had nominated themselves for the five Dudley House seats. After an ad hoe extension of the deadline failed to produce more nominations, House Committee chairman Nieholas Colorassi put two additional names on the ballot.

All five candidates won seats in the uncontested election, and students complained that the last minute inclusion of the two additional names harmed the chances for write-in candidates to be elected.

"It was a procedural impropriety," said council Vice Chairman Brian R. Melendez '86, but he added that the two candidates who had not been officially nominated got enough votes for them to be considered properly elected.

And Dudley House representative David Vendler '84, who offered the resolution to nullify the elections, stressed that the original incident was not an intentional move to exclude write-in candidates.

The council voted to nullify the entire Dudley election. The five representatives will hold office until the new elections.

In other business, the council voted to sponsor a "tailgate picnic" to be held at Yale before the Harvard. Yale game. The council appropriated $800 to pay for a tent, tables and chairs where House committees, student organizations and private groups can host pre-game picnics, members of the council's social committee said.

"At the hundredth anniversary of the Harvard-Yale game, the biggest problem is space-our main objective is to provide space where Harvard people can say. "This is our ground," said committee member John G. McCellister.

Members approved an additional $1636.66 to the $8000 already allotted for renovations of the council's Canaday office.

The council also voted to provide the following services to undergraduates; a comprehensive listing of on campus local events to be distributed every week, and a heating information flier telling students where to address complaints about temperature in dorm rooms. The council distributed a similar flier last year.