Library Clash

A Weekly Survey of News From Other Campuses

By Peter R. Eccles

A new policy to limit weekend library hours at Stanford has faced stiff opposition from undergraduates including some who plan to stage an all-night sit-in to protest the move later this week.

The protest will be held in response to the administration's decision to change the hours of Meyer Library--the main undergraduate library--to closing at 10 p.m. on Friday and 6 p.m. on Saturday from the midnight closing last year.

"Our complaints include the whole policy the University has taken towards undergraduate needs," protest organizer senior Mike Stryer said, "Students should have an available place to study Friday and Saturday nights--cutting hours leaves no suitable place."

`Sympathetic'

Stryer said he expects between 150 and 300 students at the protest.

Meyer Head Librarian Elizabeth Salzer said she had hoped for "more constructive means" than a sit-in to deal with students discontent, but that she welcomes student interest in other forms.

"I am sympathetic with students who need to have a place to study," she said. "This is not an irreversible decision, and does not rule out restoring original library hours."

Concern comes from both sides of the student population--not only people who want the library as a place to study on Saturday nights, but partiers who don't want to create an uncomfortable atmosphere for people studying in the dorm Stryer said.

Although the orignal hours will not be rein-stituted by Saturday, Salzer said that they may be by the end of the quarter. The Stanford Daily