UPenn Faculty Criticize Handling of Rape Case

A Weekly Survey of News From Other Campuses

By Peter R. Eccles

The University of Pennsylvania faculty last week attacked the school administration for mishandling an alleged rape at a UPenn fraternity in February.

The faculty criticism came one month after a local judge invalidated the school's disciplinary actions because of procedural problems. The fraternity members accused of the rape were not allowed to cross-examine witnesses or the alleged victim, the court ruled.

In addition, the UPenn faculty criticized the administration's treatment of the victim, who left school last spring to get psychological counseling.

"The victim was not accorded the dignity and compassion she deserved," said the report, which was ratified almost unanimously by the 1700-person faculty.

"We recommend that the university fulfill its moral responsibilities to the victim by meeting her medical, legal, and educational expenses," the report added.

UPenn President Sheldon Hackney defended the school's handling of the case, saying that the faculty report was based on "numerous erroneous and misleading statements of fact."

The high-level dispute between Hackney and the faculty stems out of an alleged rape at a party in February at Alpha Tao Omega, a UPenn fraternity.

At the party, a 21-year-old female student, reportedly high on beer and LSD, had sex with five to eight fraternity members. Several days later, she filed charges of gang rape. A judiciary panel investigated the incident and concluded that the fraternity was guilty of taking advantage of a woman who was intoxicated and drugged.

Rather than close the fraternity or expel the students involved as many observers expected, the school reached a secret agreement with the fraternity. Alpha Tao Omega was allowed to remain open, and the members were forced to perform community service, including the reading and discussion of women's rights literature.

These sanctions were invalidated last month by Philadelphia Common Pleas Judge Lois G Forer.

This fall the faculty undertook its own study of the incident and its aftermath, setting up a small investigatory committee.

"The faculty felt that the administration responded trivially to a very serious violation of civil behavior," said June Axxin, president of the UPenn faculty senate, adding. "The young men involved were able to continue their education. She [the victim] was not."

One consideration, observers say, was that one of the fraternity members implicated was the son of a high-ranking official in the school administration.

The faculty hinted at this conflict of interest in its report. "We feel that it is relevant to note that the disclosure of the identity of one of the respondents would have been embarrassing to the university," said the report, which was released last Tuesday.

The report added "We have been assured by the president and the provost that this fact had no bearing on the proceedings."