Council Funds Rugby and PBH

By Brian W. Kladko and Rebecca K. Kramnica

After considering a record number of grant requests, the Undergraduate Council last night doled out half of its fall term budget to fund student organizations.

The council considered over $50,000 worth of requests in a grueling three and a hall hour meeting, finally awarding nearly $18,000 to 45 campus groups.

The grants ranged from $1500 for a Phillips Brooks House project to $50 to fund friends of the Spartans Youth League publicity costs.

The biggest grant of the night of $1500 went to the Phillips Brooks House Homeless Committee to help defray the costs of operating a shelter in Cambridge.

The council also awarded $1200 to "The Forum," a new magazine showcasing undergraduate academic work, and $1050 to the Rugby Football club to help pay for costs incurred in a trip to Seattle last year for the National Championships.

The grants, which constitute the entire council student organization budget for the fall term, were based on recommendations of the council's finance committee. The council moved to consider the other half of the committee's recommended budget next week, including the council's own operating costs and its social funds.

The record number of student groups requesting funds meant that a number of organizations last night left the Science Center empty handed.

The Council denied the Collegium Museum singing group's $1000 request for the payment of five soloists at an upcoming concert, saying that the group could scrounge up money from a $74,000 trust fund set up several years ago by former members.

However, Andrew M. Rappe '86 said the trust fund was practically off-limits to the group. "It's hard for them to see the realities of the situation," Rappe said as he left the meeting.

In another controversial denial, the Council refused to give $1000 to the Julio DeValle Memorial Fund, which aids freshmen who cannot participate in public service due to financial constraints.

Council member Gregory M. Lyss '85, speaking for the majority of the council, said, "I don't think it is appropriate for us to give money to charities. Rather we should be funding student projects."

David H. Pollack '85, a spokesman for the fund, later criticized the council's "icy bureaucratic fashion."

"There ought to be some sense of understanding and sympathy on the council," Pollack said.

The funding of refreshments for groups' events was a controversial issue in last night's debates. The council's policy is to help pay for refreshments only when they are necessary to the group's activities, said Ethan S. Cohen '86.

The council handed down different verdicts to three groups the Rugby Football Club, the Japan Cultural Society, and the Speech and Parliamentary Debate Society--which sought reimbursement for refreshments.

In addressing requests by the Rugby Club, one council member asked. "If you didn't have pig foists and club banquets, would you need so much money?"

Although the council approved the Rugby Club's request, the Japan Cultural Society and the Speech and Debate Society were sent back to the Finance Committee for further deliberation.

The council also sent four other requests back to the Finance Committee for additional interviews with the grant applicants: Amnesty International, the Cabot House Nightclub, the City step dance company and the Outing Club.

Long into the meeting, restless council members expressed frustration with the abundant and expensive grant requests.

"Whatever happened to fund-raising?" asked Ellen Havdala '88. "I'm sick of sitting here listening to people grubbing for money."