Radcliffe Gets New Chief of Development

By Margaret Seaver

Early last week, Ellen A. Stevens took over as Radcliffe's new director of development and alumnae affairs.

Radcliffe's focus--on women and programs for women--make the college a particularly exciting place to work, said Stevens.

Before coming to Radcliffe, Stevens held a similar position at Brandeis University, as the director of corporate and foundation relations.

Developing funding for Radcliffe's many programs is Stevens's primary responsibility. "The role of development in any non-profit organization is to maximize unrestricted funds. Our main business is to help the non-profit world stay afloat," she said.

Besides the funding of the Schlesinger Library, the Murray Research Center, the Bunting Institute, and the Radcliffe Seminar program, the development office also raises money for all of Radcliffe's smaller programs, including those for undergraduates.

"This year we raised 1.5 million dollars for undergraduate education," said Stevens. "We also provide support for the extern, enrichment and outreach programs," which are organized by the Radcliffe dean of students office.

Replaces Cecily Morse

She replaces Cecily O. Morse as Radcliffe's chief fundraiser. In July, Morse was named vice president of the Williamson group, a Cambridge-based software development company.