250 Rally Against Violence

Take Back the Night Participants Protest, March

By Maya E. Fischhoff, Crimson Staff Writer

Holding candles and listening to personal stories and songs, about 250 people attended the annual Take Back the Night rally last night on the Malkin Athletic Center Quadrangle and marched across campus to the Radcliffe Quadrangle.

The march is the culmination of two weeks of speeches and events organized by the Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS) designed to focus campus attention on issues of violence against women.

After the rally, participants began to march, stopping at the Harvard Law Review building. The group stood silently for several minutes before chanting, "Hey, hey ho ho, this sexist shit has got to go," referring to the journal's parody of a work by murdered feminist scholar Mary Jo Frug.

During the rally, women and men were invited to speak into an open microphone. Participants talked about their experiences with rape and sexual abuse, read poems and sang songs by Holly Near and the Indigo Girls.

"One purpose of the rally is to allow people to share their experiences, to come together and be with other people who are sympathetic," said Brenda C. Coughlin '93, RUS co-president.

Issues of violence against women are relevant for men as well, she said.

"The system of sexism...prevents men from having decent relationships--and they're not safe either," said Coughlin.

Violence against women is every-where, saidRally Organizer Jessica E. Lapenn '93. Twenty-fivepercent of college women have been raped, 84percent of them by people they know, and more thanhalf of all women are physically abused by apartner at least once, Lapenn said.

"The violence which threatens and touches us isnot only in dark alleys late at night," saidLapenn. "These statistics suggest that betterlighting and shuttle service, though necessary,will not end the violence."

Women need to speak out and men need to listen,she said.

"From my experience, the only thing I can sayis break the silence,'" said a woman whoidentified herself as a rape survivor. "You needto speak with people that you trust."

The after-effects of rape last for years,several women said.

"My whole life is spent dealing with this,"said one woman who said she had been rapedrepeatedly. "My life is a full time job."

Until women are safe, they are going to keepmarching, said Kate L. Frucher '92-'93, former RUSpresident.

"Our anger is completely justified," Fruchersaid