Toaster Tutor Hired by Adams House

Fired by Dunster Master, Ignatiev Proclaims Free Speech Victory

By Ira E. Stoll, Crimson staff writer

Noel Ignatiev, who was dismissed by the Dunster House master for "conduct unbecoming of a Harvard tutor," will serve as a non-resident tutor at Adams House next year.

Ignatiev said yesterday that Adams House Master Robert J. Kiely formally extended him the job offer in a June 19 letter.

As a Dunster non-resident tutor, Ignatiev sparked a controversy in Fall 1991 by objecting to University funding of a kosher toaster oven in the Dunster dining hall.

The controversy was renewed in May, when Dunster Masters Karel F. and Hetty Liem decided not to hire Ignatiev for another year. A student group called Dunster Students for Free Expression protested Ignatiev's dismissal, arguing that his rights had been violated.

Yesterday, Ignatiev continued to paint himself as the embodiment of the First Amendment. "I think that Kiely's appointing me indicates a commitment to freedom of speech," the so-called "toaster tutor" said.

In May, Dunster House Master Karel Liem explained his decision not to renew Ignatiev's contract by saying that the American Civilizations graduate student had not attended a single meeting of house tutors.

The Liems also said in an open letter that it is inappropriate for a Harvard tutor to "impress his own beliefs upon all others, and demand immediate and unilateral changes in House policy."

Karel Liem yesterday refused to comment on Ignatiev's hiring at Adams House.

Kiely was out of town and unavailable for comment.

Ignatiev said he does not know if any Adams House students will be upset by his hiring. He said he looks forward to joining Adams House and interacting with its students.